Are you making staff redundant? Worried you might be exposed to a claim?
Whether you are a public or private sector employer, we can help you resolve your employment dispute and protect you against the risk of a claim.
Carlsons Solicitors are experts in employment law, having supported thousands of employers with agreements from simple pre-agreed standard settlements to high value structured deals.
We provide an efficient and cost effective employment law service with a high standard of client care.
What is a Settlement Agreement?
A settlement agreement is a legally binding document between an employer and employee to resolve an employment dispute or to bring an employment to a clear conclusion.
Settlement agreements were previously known as Compromise Agreements - since an employer might sometimes offer a “compromise” or “settlement” when terminating an individual’s employment.
Such agreements end your employees right to make an employment claim against you such as unfair dismissal or discrimination arising out of their employment term or termination. This type of agreement will ensure that when your employee leaves your business, the business is protected from any legal claims associated with their employment rights.
How we can help you
We have been settlement agreement solicitors in Whetstone for many years and spend a considerable amount of time advising employers.
We specialise in writing watertight legal agreements to offer an employee a settlement so that when they leave your business, you have the comfort of knowing that you will not be sued.
Whether it is a one-off compromise or a bulk redundancy, we can help you draft a unique or standard fit settlement agreement.
How do Settlement Agreements work?
- You (the employer) draft the settlement agreement and provide this to your employee.
- The agreement will usually offer your employee a compensation payment which is over and above normal contractual terms or agree to provide an employment reference to a potential new employer.
- Your employee will be required to seek independent legal advice before they sign the agreement as without independent legal advice the agreement is invalid.
- By entering into the agreement your employee agrees that they will not bring an employment claim for discrimination or unfair dismissal against you.
- Settlement agreements are commonly used in redundancy, rationalisation programmes and when seeking to resolve a dispute with an employee.
We Can Help Your Employees
Settlement agreements make it compulsory for your employee to receive independent legal advice on the terms and effect of the agreement. It is, therefore, very common for you, the employer, to make a contribution towards the legal costs that will be incurred by your employee when they seek legal advice.
Contact Us Now
To make an appointment or to find out more about how our employment law solicitors in Whetstone can help you with a settlement agreement, telephone our dedicated team on 020 8445 3331 or email: email@example.com Alternatively, you can complete our quick online enquiry form.